What are textiles? A woven material using natural or synthetic fibres which can be used in multiple applications as a web itself. The sourcing of the fibre can be from Animals, Plants, Minerals and Artificial production depending on the applications and processing of every kind of textile is a unique process.
Application of Textiles:
1. Household – Several uses have come up wherein we use textiles produced from various sources.
f. Drawing and Painting
2. Workplace – no industry goes without the use of textiles. Some uses are pointed out here as:
a. Office furnishings
d. Woven Weightlifting Slings (at cranes)
e. Ropes and ties
3. Safety – textiles have proven their worth in safety applications since the very advent of the term.
b. Fire Blankets
d. Even Bullet Proof Vests
e. Medical Plasters
The Wonderful world of Technical textiles!
Technical Textiles are engineered products manufactured for non-aesthetic purposes. What this means is that the function of fabric is the focus point. Imagine fabrics with water repellency, efficient insulation, higher thermal resistance and improved tenacity etc.
There are mainly twelve areas used in the following unconventional textile areas including Sports, Agriculture, automobiles, healthcare, Construction, Clothing, Homecare, packaging, mining, industrial, Protective textiles and hygiene.
More about process
Some major unit operations involved in the manufacturing of textiles are:
1. Washing and Scouring of Yarn – a pre-treatment stage specifically used to remove any kind of soluble and insoluble impurities including starch, which is found in yarns. If impurities are left behind, they may later be a barrier in multiple aspects such as absorption of dyes, printing, and even knitting. It is of utmost importance to ensure the efficiency of the Scouring stage. We at Polly Industries are committed to delivering the best possible chemical agents to make sure that the process economics, as well as performance, are well taken care of. Our products like POLLY-SOAP, POLLY- TS (LF), POLLY- RE-610, POLLY- X- 100, and others are well proven in the market for more than 2 decades and our R &D team ensures continuous supremacy of these products. These products are low foaming agents and work effectively under high temperatures and in soft-flow machines. We also have an efficient stain remover POLLY-STAIN and POLLY-EMEROL which is used for the removal of tough stains during the process of scouring.
2. De-sizing: POLLYZYME-15, and POLLY-THERMO are alpha-amylase-based products. and we have POLLY-P-25 and more. 3. Bleaching of Yarn – Bleaching is necessary in cases where the yarn or woven textile needs to undergo a colour change for end-use. Bleaching is a chemically pollution intensive process and the industry in the modern era needs to handle the process of wastewater generated. We shall come to the topic later in this article. Products: POLLY- PSO, POLLY- PSI, POLLY- PK are all products which assist the process of bleaching. POLLY-NVM-200 neutralizes caustic solutions during bleaching
4. Mercerizing – treatment of yarn with 20-60% concentrations of caustic soda ensures that the spiral cellulose is converted to cellulose hydrate on washing out of the alkali. The result is a high luster mercerized yarn, which has circular cotton fibers under tension. Products: POLLY-MW-50, POLLY- PMW- (SPL), POLLY- 900, POLLY-MARK. However, the process needs wetting agents, and these agents are vastly different for each fiber type. Keep following our space for more insights about the Wetting agents in days to come. WETTING AGENTS: POLLY- 50(SPL), POLLY- 3X, POLLY- 5X, POLLY- CP, POLLY- 80 (SPL), POLLY- SUPERWET(D) and more
5. Dyeing – The process involves use of dyes, and pigments on the yarn or fabric to impart desired colors and the major emphasis of the process personnel is to keep the colour fastness. Have you faced a situation where your clothes emit color during washing or even due to sweat? Not only that but some clothes get discoloured during sun–drying. But the team at Polly Industries is always ready to come for hand holding of textile process engineers. Our world-class products like POLLY- FIX, POLLY- DPS, POLLY- DAN, Polly-GAL, Polly-GSL , Polly-GSP, and many more. ensure the process follows its required physio-chemical path and the product obtained fulfills the purpose. We also have in our kitty extremely efficient Dye- Leveling and Dispersing agents such as POLLY- DHTP, POLLY- DSIP, POLLY-CHA, POLLY- CHV, POLLY-CP, POLLY-WSL, POLLY-DTC, POLLY-DFT, POLLY-CDL etc.
6. Printing – Imparting designs and patterns of our text to the fabric is needed at multiple points and the process involves the absorption of inks and colors in a particular shape and intensity. We have all seen in our life that when ink is touched to a fabric, it starts to spread around the point of contact due to the capillary suction action of fibers, thus it is inevitable to involve chemical agents to act as barriers. Also, the need of economics is to ensure minimal ink consumption to achieve the desired results. We shall talk about the chemicals needed in printing support in the third part of our publication. Products – POLLY- KBI and POLLY- PASTE
7. Finishing – the finishing process can have various aspects under consideration. As an example, we may not want our fabric to shrink and at the same time we want it to be water repellent. Imagine your umbrella getting reduced in rain! Well, at Polly Industries we have answers, come what trouble may be in your textile processing journey!
Baby fabrics need to be incredibly soft and gentle throughout the life cycle and on the other end fabrics may need added strength or stretchability if being used for medical purposes. No, it is not that simple as it looks to the eye. But Polly Industries has your back, and our team works to ensure that when the customer uses the fabric produced, the feel and utility never goes away.
Products: Cationic, Non-Ionic Wax emulsions such as POLLY- N, POLLY- NN, POLLY- NC, Softeners such as POLLY- PRODUCT-105, POLLY-SF, POLLY-PUF, POLLY-SFC (amphoteric), POLLY- RS(SPL) (Cationic Non-Yellowing Reactive softener), Stiffeners as such POLLY-VAZ and many more such world-class products, silicon softeners such as POLLY- SIL, POLLY-MA, POLLY-MI, etc
8. Final Washing – Textiles means washing, cleaning or dry-cleaning irrespective of the application. We just need to know what all could be contaminating the surface or the internals of the textile. De-sterilization of fabrics is also needed in case of hospital bed sheets, while the process needs to be gentle to ensure long fabric life in case of hotel sheets and towels. POLLY-FBSN
WE HAVE DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS FOR ABOVE PROCESSES FOR ALL TYPES OF FABRICS
We at Polly Industries – Textile Chemical Division understand your needs not only theoretically but by our decades of experience. So do get in touch with us and let us discuss the best possible solution for your process.